DIR Advises No VAT on Ancillary Education Fees
August 21st, 2016 (Nassau, Bahamas) – The Department of Inland Revenue (DIR) advises education officials and the general public that Value Added Tax (VAT) is no longer applicable to certain fees related to tuition.
The removal of VAT from educational ancilliary fees came into effect on July 1st, 2016 following the 2016/2017 Budget Communication.
Ancillary fees are limited to the following:
- The supply of vocational training
- Registration fees
- Laboratory fees
- Graduation fees
- Field trips
- Examination services
- School cafeteria services
- Supply of graduation certificates
- Use of school facilities, amenities and equipment
- Sale of books and other reference materials previously considered not an integral part of course instruction
This applies to all fees at the pre-school, primary, high school and tertiary levels whether public or private.
For further information, visit the Department of Inland Revenue’s website at www.inlandrevenue.finance.gov.bs/, email email@example.com or call (242) 461-8050 or toll-free at 225-7280. Also, feel free to visit DIRBahamas on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and Instagram.